The Fire Department Training and Research Bureau
is responsible for training firefighters in a variety of disciplines. Training
is one of the gears that drive the department. Training classes include
incident command, fire suppression, emergency medical services, hazardous
materials, act of terrorism, rescues of all types and operation of trucks and
The goal is to provide the County of Kauai with proactive response
teams with professional skills and knowledge. This bureau is also charged with
research and evaluation of new equipment for cost effectiveness, compatibility
The backbone of the Kauai Fire Department training program is
the drills conducted on a regular and continuing basis on each of 22 crews
during work shifts. Thousands of documented man-hours are spent every year on
in service drills.
The Training Officer acts as the Safety Officer on
major operations under the incident command system and also chairs the safety
committee of department personnel meeting on a regular basis.
responsibilities of the bureau are training new recruit classes and facilitating
course's for the Fire Chief and administration section.
To develop and
maintain a proficient, professional and structured training program that will
enhance services to the community and safety for department employees.
- Review and update department training manuals.
- Standardize drills to give personnel structured training throughout the
- Enhance safety programs. Train fire fighters to think and practice safety at
all times on the job.
- Utilize computer programs to maintain complete and accurate drill records
for all personnel.
- Integrate water safety officers and their training into the department.
- Adhere to national standards of incident command training and
- Train to the highest medical standards possible.