The County of Kaua‘i offers Pay As You Throw (PAYT) variable rates for refuse collection. A 64 gallon refuse cart is $10 per month, and a 96 gallon refuse cart is $18 per month. Service is once per week, with no change in schedule for holidays.
Service is billed as a line item on the Real Property Tax bill. Service changes can be made at six 6 month increments, coinciding with the tax billing cycle. For more information, call (808) 241-4091.
To find out what your refuse day is, enter your street name on the Refuse Collection Day Lookup page
Please see brochures containing information on the collection and instructions for use. Please click on the following links to view the brochures:
For more information on automated refuse pickup and the County's refuse collection program, please call (808) 241-4091.
Pursuant to the Kauai County Code, Chapter 21, the rules regarding proper use of refuse carts are as follows:
- Carts must be put out for collection the night before their pickup day. We will not come back to pick up your trash if you set your cart out late.
- The cart lid must be in the fully closed position prior to pickup. We will not pick up your cart if it is overflowing.
- Carts should be placed at least 5 feet away from any object(s) such as mailboxes, fences, poles, and fire hydrants, with at least 16 feet of clearance above the cart from wires or trees. The carts must be placed with the handle away from the street.
- Only dry trash should be placed in refuse carts.
- Items with liquids should be drained prior to placing in refuse carts.
- All trash must be bagged prior to being placed in refuse carts to prevent windblown litter.
- Only trash contained inside the refuse cart will be picked up.
- Trash should only be placed in your assigned refuse cart, and not in someone else's cart.
- Carts should be removed from the street as soon as possible after the collection is completed.
Call the County Recycling Office at 241-4841 for a FREE composting bin. Reduce the amount of waste sent to the landfill and REYCLE! Visit http://www.kauai.gov/recycling for bin locations and more information.