The new owner must complete the following:
- The new registered owner(s) must print and sign their name(s) on the appropriate lines on the reverse side of the Certificate of Title in Section "D". If the vehicle is to be jointly registered, both parties must sign. If the vehicle is being registered in the name of a business, you must have a Letter of Authorization on file authorizing you to buy vehicles on behalf of the business.
- If there is a lien holder on the vehicle, the lien holder must print and sign their names on the appropriate lines on the reverse side of the Certificate of Title in Section "E". Both parties must sign if the vehicle will be jointly registered.
- Submit the properly endorsed Certificate of Title, the last issued Certificate of Registration, and current or temporary State of Hawaii Safety Inspection Certificate within thirty (30) days.
- If applicable, complete a Non-Commercial Vehicle Registration if the vehicle is a pick-up truck or a cargo van.
- If you are a non-resident active duty military service member, submit a properly completed Non-Resident military Certificate, which is available from your military personnel office or your military unit.
- A transfer fee of $5.00 will be assessed plus the cost of registration renewal if the registration has expired or will expire within forty-five (45) days. The cost of registration renewal will be calculated by the Customer Service Representative.
Please note: A late transfer fee of $50.00 will be assessed in addition to the $5 transfer fee, if the documents are received after 30 days (60 days if the lien holder does not have an office in the State of Hawaii), from the date of release by the owner. In addition, you will be assessed delinquent taxes for prior years that the vehicle has not been registered.
If the vehicle will be registered in the name of a business, a Letter of Authorization must be on file. A Letter of Authorization (LOA) must be submitted by a company to the County of Kauai Division of Motor Vehicles & Licensing in order to process specified motor vehicle transactions. The person(s) named on the LOA are the authorized signatories of the company who are authorized to complete specified motor vehicle transactions on behalf of the company.