Frequently Asked Questions and Answers

Below you will find answers to frequently asked questions about the County of Kauai's definition of our commonly used terms, applying for a job, examination steps, eligibility and referral process; and other miscellaneous topics.


What is a “Recruitment”?

A recruitment is a process for locating applicants for employment.

What is a "Recruitment Number"?

A "Recruitment Number" is a number that identifies a recruitment.

For example: 2021-001; 89-DAY-2021-001; or EXEMPT-2021-001.

What is a "Recruitment Period"?

A recruitment period is a time period indicated on the job announcement during which applications are accepted. The recruitment period is usually 10 calendar days. On the 10th calendar day the recruitment closes at 4:30 p.m. HST.

What does "Continuous Recruitment Until Needs are Met" mean?

The recruitment will be open continuously until there is no longer a need for eligible applicants. A Continuous Recruitment may close at any time; the notice of the last day to file applications will be posted on the Job Opportunities Listing page on the County’s website.
What is a "County of Kauai Job Announcement"?

A County of Kauai Job Announcement describes a job that the Department of Human Resources, is currently recruiting for. It is the best source of information about a job as it tells you the time period for which applications will be accepted, the title of the job, recruitment number, geographic location, pay, job duties, minimum qualification requirements, what type of examination (if any) you must take to qualify for the job, and instructions on how to apply.

What is a "Intra Departmental, Inter Departmental and Open Competitive recruitment"?
  • Intra Departmental: Recruitment opportunity is limited to a County of Kauai Civil Service Employee employed by the Department who has the vacancy.
  • Inter Departmental: Recruitment opportunity is limited to County of Kauai Civil Service employees employed by any County of Kauai department.
  • Open Competitive: Recruitment opportunity that is open to the public.

Who is considered a member of the County of Kauai "Civil Service"?

An employee who successfully completes an initial probation period and demonstrates continued fitness and ability by meeting all performance requirements of the employee’s position.


How are vacancies filled?

Jobs can be filled from an "eligible list" established for a recruitment that the Department of Human Resources has announced. The Department of Human Resources publishes Job Announcements for jobs open to the public. These announcements contain important information about the duties and responsibilities of the job, minimum qualifications required, and the examination process for placement on the eligible lists. You should review the Job Announcement of the job(s) for which you are interested prior to completing the application form.

What kind of jobs does the Department of Human Resources Office Recruit for?

A very large range of jobs. The Department of Human Resources administers the civil service system for the Executive Branch of County of Kauai government. The civil service employment system is based upon hiring, retaining and promoting employees based on their qualifications and ability to do the work. There are over 500 different job titles.

Where can I find out about County of Kauai jobs that are currently being recruited for?

Information about jobs are available on the County of Kauai Department of Human Resources websiteCounty of Kauai Facebook page, and other designated distribution centers. In some instances, the department that has the vacancy may be delegated to conduct their own recruitment. If this occurs, the department will be responsible for advertising the vacancy.

How do I apply for a County jobs?

To apply online, go to the Job Opportunities Listing page of our website to view current job openings. From your job search results, click on the job title to view the job announcement. You will find step-by-step instructions in the “How to Apply” section and a link to create an online application for the specific job. Applications are available for current job openings only.

Where can I obtain a job application?
  1. The online application can be accessed through the Job Opportunities Listing page by clicking on the job you’re interested in, then clicking the “apply” link.
  2. If you don’t own a computer there are places with free access to computers such as:
    1. State Workforce Development Division Office, 4444 Rice Street (next to old Lihue Big Save) (808)274-3056;
    2. State of Hawaii Public Libraries. Visit or phone for location and hours. A free Hawaii State Library card is required to use computers at the library.

Due to COVID-19 it is recommended that you call the various sites to see what their requirements are to use computers.

How do I know what jobs I qualify for?

You must first meet the minimum qualification requirements of the job. These requirements can be found on each Job Opportunity Announcement. You should review each announcement carefully, noting the location of the job opening, minimum qualification requirements, description of job duties, and any other special requirements. Taking the time to thoroughly review each announcement will help you avoid applying for jobs that may not interest you, or for which you may not qualify.

Can I submit a resume instead of an application?

NO. A resume in itself will not be processed. It must be accompanied by either an online application, along with other required supporting documents asked for in the Job Opportunity Announcement.

Can I use the same application to apply for several different jobs?

When you have finished setting up your user account, you may use your saved master application you already completed for any other County of Kauai Civil Service positions you wish to apply for. You will need to answer the specific questions attached to the different Job Opportunity Announcements and follow the instructions.

What is considered a "complete application"?

A "complete application" consists of the online application and "other" materials asked for in the job announcement. Examples of "other" materials, if required or applicable, include the Applicant Data Survey, your college transcripts, documentation of veteran status, a copy of your professional licensure, etc. Your application is considered incomplete until all of your information is received so please read the Required Forms and Documentation section of the Job Opportunity Announcement carefully.

Can I submit an application for a recruitment that has closed?

NO. You will not be able to submit an application if the recruitment period has ended.

How do I notify you of a change to my name, address, phone number or availability for employment?

Please complete the Change of Information Form and return the completed/signed form to: and we will make the appropriate changes to your record.


What is an "unassembled" Examination?

An examination in which applicants are not required to take a written examination at a designated date, time, and place. Your rating (score) is based on the education and experience information you provide on your application form.

Can I apply for a job requiring a college degree, if I have not graduated?

Unless otherwise indicated on the Job Opportunity Announcement, you must meet the education requirement at the time your application is filed. Review the job announcements for any acceptable substitutions.

Do you have study guides to help me prepare for a written exam?

NO. We design written tests to reflect the knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSAs) needed to be brought to the job. The tests are not designed to show what you have learned from books. We want to give you a chance to show how many of the job-related KSAs you have. People with these KSAs should do well on the test.

What kind of test will I have to take?

The type of test you take will depend on the type of examination being administered for a particular job. The job announcement will provide this information under the section titled "Examination.”

How often is the written exam given?

If you apply for a recruitment open on a continuous basis, the exam will be administered several times a year. This can vary depending on the number of applicants, the type of exam, and the needs of the hiring agency. If the recruitment has a closing date, it will only be administered once after the closing date.

I have a disability. How do I request for a reasonable accommodation to take a County of Kauai exam?

Applicants must be able to physically and mentally perform efficiently the duties of the position. Qualified applicants with disabilities who can perform the essential functions of the advertised position are encouraged to apply. The County of Kauai is committed to making reasonable accommodations on a case-by-case basis. Applicants seeking reasonable accommodations should contact our office during business hours at (808) 241-4956 at the time of application but no later than ten (10) calendar days prior to the examination date and be ready to discuss the accommodation sought so that a determination can be made that such accommodation is reasonable and would not cause the County undue hardship.

How are scores calculated?

Scores are calculated based on the type of examination procedures administered. Written Exams are scores based on the number of questions correct. The passing score is a 70%.

I already took a written exam and was placed on the eligible list. Can I take the exam again to improve my score?

If the recruitment is still open, you may re-apply and take the written exam again as long as 30-days have lapsed between the written tests. If you do not pass the exam the second time, you will keep your original score.

If you pass the written exam on the second time, however you receive a lower score, the lower score will replace the original score.

Are original transcripts required? Can I or the school submit a copy?

If you are using education to qualify, or if there are mandatory course requirements for the job, you may submit a legible photo copy of your official college transcripts. Copies of official transcripts must have the the registrar’s signature. Transcripts obtained through the internet are not accepted. Please note that education obtained outside of the United States must be comparable to a degree earned at an accredited school in the United States. The Department of Human Resources reserves the right to request evidence of comparability and/or an official copy of your transcript.

Your college can submit an official copy to our office.

Our mailing address is:

Department of Human Resources

4444 Rice Street, Suite 140

Lihue, HI 96766


I was placed on an eligible list 3 months ago, and have since obtained an advanced degree that could improve my score. Can I ask to amend my score?

NO. Your newly acquired education or work experience cannot be considered after your name has been placed on an eligible list. However, if the recruitment is still open, you may re-apply and submit any additional education and experience on your new application.

Why was my application rejected or not processed?

An application can be rejected for several reasons such as:

  1. Missing forms or other supplemental information;
  2. Insufficient detail in your description of job duties and responsibilities;
  3. Performing work in more than one specialty area and not providing the average hours per week spent in each task;
  4. Unable to verify your education (diploma, coursework), education, licensure, etc. needed for a particular job.

An application cannot be processed for several reasons such as:

  1. Important information is missing from the application (e.g., name, etc.); 
  2. Did not receive online application.


What is an Eligible List?

A list of names of persons who have successfully completed the examination.

How long will it take until I am placed on an eligible list?

We try to place qualified applicants on the eligible list as timely as possible. The actual time frame depends on a variety of factors, including the number of persons applying for a job, the type of exam used for the job, and the needs of the hiring agency that will be using the eligible list.

How long will I remain on the eligible list?

You will have eligibility for the period stated on the Notice of Examination Results and Eligibility. It will indicate whether you meet all the minimum qualification requirements. If you qualify, the letter will also indicate your score and placement into the pool of eligibles.

If I accept a temporary position, will my name be removed from the eligible list?

It depends:

  1. If you are appointed to a temporary position from an eligible list that was established to fill both permanent and temporary vacancies, it will depend on the duration of the temporary appointment.
    1. If the duration of the appointment allows you to serve an initial probationary appointment which could lead to civil service membership, your name will be removed from the eligible list and you will no longer be referred to other vacancies.
    2. If the duration of the temporary appointment does not allow you to serve an initial probationary appointment, your availability for temporary positions will be removed and you will not be referred to future temporary vacancies.
    3. If you indicated interest in permanent positions on your application, your name will continue to be referred to permanent vacancies.
  2. If you are appointed to a temporary position from an eligible list that was established to fill temporary positions only, you will be removed from the eligible list and you will no longer be referred to other vacancies.

How long does it take to be referred for a Job Interview?

It depends:

  1. After you are placed on the eligible list, you will be referred to vacancies based on your examination score and the employment conditions/geographic locations you specified on your application form.
  2. Factors that increase your chances of being referred include how high your score is, your availability, and the number of vacancies.

After I am placed on the eligible list, what happens if I decline or fail to respond to an employment inquiry?

Your eligibility will be suspended when you decline a job offer; do not report for an employment interview or respond to an employment inquiry; indicate a lack of interest in any other way for a position; or you are contacted and not available to attend an interview.

If my eligibility is suspended, can my name be put back on the eligible list for future referrals?

YES. If the list is still active and your eligibility has not expired, you may reinstate your eligibility under the following conditions:

  1. You are now available for employment;
  2. You now meet the physical standards of the job; OR
  3. You terminated without delinquency or misconduct during your probationary period after being appointed to a permanent position from the eligible list.

Your request must be in writing and include your name, job title, and recruitment number.

Can I find out my ranking on the eligible list?

NO. Your ranking may change from day to day for several reasons.

Factors such as names being added and removed, availability changes, and hiring can affect your ranking.


Where is your office located? Is parking available?

Our office is located in the Moikeha Buidling. CLICK HERE for a map.


Department of Human Resources

4444 Rice Street, Suite 140

Lihue, HI 96766

YES. There is a parking.

What type of Benefits does the County of Kauai offer?

The County of Kauai offers its employees who are members of the civil service a range of benefits. These benefits are subject to change whenever applicable collective bargaining agreements, laws, rules, policies or plan documents are changed. Please CLICK HERE for more detailed information.

How do I contact the County Department of Human Resources during normal business hours?

The Department of Human Resources office is open from 7:45 a.m. through 4:30 p.m. (HST) Monday through Friday except for State Observed Holidays. You can come in or call (808) 241-4956.  See above regarding office security during COVID-19.

What should I do if I am experiencing technical difficulties submitting my application online AFTER normal business hours?

After Hours Online Technical Difficulties:

If you are experiencing online difficulties after our normal business hours, call (808) 241-4956 and leave a voice mail message OR email and includes ALL of the following information:

  1. Your full legal name.
  2. Your daytime phone number.
  3. The job title of the position you are applying for.
  4. A BRIEF description of the online difficulties you are encountering.
  5. The date and time you experienced the difficulty.

We will return your call on the next business day to assist you. Please be assured that an exception may be granted once we verify with our systems administrator that there were technical problems with our system.


IMPORTANT REMINDER: The above five items must be included in your voicemail or email message in order to be given consideration for an exception.

Does the County accept applications from out-of-state applicants who are not residents of Hawaii?

YES. It doesn't matter where you are a resident, you will need to show proof that you have unrestricted authorization to work in the United States and if you are hired, change your residence to Hawaii within 30 days of hire date.