The County of Kaua‘i offers Pay As You Throw (PAYT) variable rates for refuse collection. A 64 gallon refuse cart is $10 per month, and a 96 gallon refuse cart is $18 per month. Service is once per week, with no change in schedule for holidays.
Service is billed as a line item on the Real Property Tax bill. Service changes can be made at six 6 month increments, coinciding with the tax billing cycle. For more information, call (808) 241-4091.
Administrative service for Kauai County’s Residential Refuse Collection Assessment has temporarily changed due to COVID19. To add or change service, please call 241-4091 and your account will be managed by our staff using email, mail, and the drop box at the DMV. Our staff who is available by phone Monday through Friday from 6:00 am to 4:30. Walk in services has temporarily ceased, but customer service continues to be timely.
To find out what your refuse day is, enter your street name on the Refuse Collection Day Lookup page
Please see brochures containing information on the collection and instructions for use. Please click on the following links to view the brochures:
For more information on automated refuse pickup and the County's refuse collection program, please call (808) 241-4091.
Pursuant to the Kauai County Code, Chapter 21, the rules regarding proper use of refuse carts are as follows:
- Carts must be put out for collection the night before the scheduled pick-up day. Carts that are not out the night before WILL NOT be picked-up.
- The cart lid must be in the fully closed position prior to pickup.
- Trash should only be placed in your assigned refuse cart.
- Only trash inside the cart will be picked-up.
- All trash must be bagged prior to being placed in refuse carts.
- Only dry trash should be placed in refuse carts. Liquids must be drained or absorbed prior to placing in carts.
- Carts must be placed at least 5 feet away from any object such as mailboxes, fences, poles, and fire hydrants, with at least 16 feet of clearance above, subject to variance approved by the County of Kauai.
- When carts are placed in a row, on cul-de-sacs for example, carts must be 3 feet apart, subject to variance approved by the County of Kauai.
- Refuse carts should be removed from the curbside as soon as possible after the collection is completed.
If you receive a tag on your cart for any violation, you will need to transport your trash to the nearest transfer station or landfill.
Call the County Recycling Office at 241-4841 for a FREE composting bin. Reduce the amount of waste sent to the landfill and RECYCLE! Visit http://www.kauai.gov/recycling for more information.