Bookmark This Page: www.kauai.gov/publicworks/admin
The Department of Public Works consist of seven (7) divisions: Administration/Fiscal, Automotive Repair Shop, Building, Engineering, Highways & Roads Construction, Solid Waste Management, and Waste Water Management.
Public Works is responsible for the repair and maintenance of all County facilities, vehicles and equipment, facility development, code enforcement, building construction and maintenance; the planning, design, and construction of all new improvements, permitting, reviewing and enforcement of various ordinances, codes and regulations pertaining to public and private construction work (excluding Department of Water projects); the maintenance, repair and upkeep of all County roads, the collection and disposal of garbage and refuse, and the collection and treatment of sewage.
Facilities managed by the Department of Public Works includes the following:
- An automotive shop in Lihue
- Four sanitary sewage facilities located in Wailua, Lihue Eleele and Waimea
- A sanitary landfill in Kekaha
- Four refuse transfer stations located in Princeville, Kapaa, Lihue, and Hanapepe
- Three road construction and maintenance base yards located in Hanalei, Kapaa and Hanapepe and are responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of approximately 235 miles of paved roadways and 40 miles of unpaved roadways
- Three stadium complexes located in Hanapepe, Lihue and Kapaa
- Ten neighborhood centers located in Kilauea, Anahola, Kapaa, Lihue, Koloa, Kalaheo, Hanapepe, Kaumakani, Waimea and Kekaha; and Kauai's only War Memorial Convention Hall along with many other County facilities (excluding Department of Water).